A Very Gaga Thanksgiving is the name of an 90 minutes ABC Thanksgiving special that aired on November 24, 2011, featuring Lady Gaga. The special was shot on October 22 and 23, 2011. Development for A Very Gaga Thanksgiving immediately surfaced in November 2011, when it was announced that Gaga would host a television special on Thanksgiving. It features guest appearances from Katie Couric, Art Smith, and Tony Bennett.
Development for A Very Gaga Thanksgiving immediately surfaced in November 2011, when it was announced that Gaga would host a television special on Thanksgiving.
A Very Gaga Thanksgiving was conceived and directed by Gaga herself, while it was produced by Steven Johnson, Rudy Bendar, and David Saltz. Principal photography took place at the Convent of the Sacred Heart in New York City. Gaga told Women's Wear Daily: "My dad will be so excited. I actually directed it. It’s the first of two things I directed. I directed this as well as the video for "Marry The Night", my new single... So we'll be watching that and eating turkey and doing what all New Yorkers do, which is getting ready for every window to be filled with Christmas cheer the next day".
Couric interviews Lady Gaga about her life and the inspiration behind her music at Convent of the Sacred Heart in Manhattan. Gaga also performs nine songs to a small audience of friends and family, including "Born This Way", "Marry the Night", "You and I", "Hair" and "The Edge of Glory", as well as covers of Irving Berlin classic "White Christmas" and Nat King Cole's "Orange Colored Sky". She also sings a duet with show tune artist Tony Bennett, which is a cover of Babes In Arms song "The Lady Is a Tramp". Gaga sings "Bad Romance" onstage in a different scene. American chef Art Smith accompanies Gaga with a turkey dinner and waffles. In another scene, a small group of children gather around her as she blows glitter on them.
Lady Gaga is seen arriving at the Convent of the Sacred Heart in Manhattan while she also provide the narration explaining the content of the special.
- "Hello everyone and happy thanksgiving. This is Lady Gaga. Tonight. join me with Tony Bennett, Katie Couric, chef Art Smith and the third and fourth grader from my alma mater, Sacred Heart. This is A Very Gaga Thanksgiving".
This scene was shot on October 23, 2011.
- Lady Gaga is wearing a hat by Unknown, a red dress by Stéphane Rolland from his Haute Couture Spring/Summer 2009 collection with shoes by Giuseppe Zanotti ("High Platform Wedges").
"The Lady is a Tramp" (duet with Tony Bennett)
- For more on the song, see "The Lady is a Tramp"
The song begins with a spoken introduction by Brian Newman. Prior to the special, Gaga and Bennett recorded their cover of the song which was released on his album, Duets II in 2011. Footage from an interview with Bennett are also shown after the performance of the song and during Gaga interview with Couric.
- Lady Gaga is wearing an hat by Unknown with a dress by Givenchy.
In the streets
Art and crafts with the third and fourth graders
"Born This Way"
- Lady Gaga is wearing jewels by Rodrigo Otazu, black dress by Armani Privé (Haute Couture Fall/Winter 2011, "Hommage au Japon").
"Yoü and I" and "The Edge of Glory"
Cooking with Art Smith
The special also included a cooking segment with chef Art Smith, with whom Gaga prepared fried turkey and waffles.
- Grandmother Germanotta’s Salami Pecorino Cheese Waffles
- Grandma Bissett's Cranberry Sauce
- Aunt Sheri and Uncle Steve's Spiced Pecans
- Fried Turkey
- Chef Art's Gravy
"White Christmas" and "Orange Colored Sky"
- Lady Gaga is wearing a red dress by Martin Grant (Spring/Summer 2012).
Interview with Katie
"Marry the Night"
October 22, 2011
- Dress by Galanos
- Black and brown gown by James Galanos
- Sunglasses by Frame France, jacket and pants by Tom Ford, shoes by Christian Louboutin
October 23, 2011
- Vintage Gown dress (1930)
- Jewels by Rodrigo Otazu, dress by Azzedine Alaïa (Haute Couture Fall 2011)
- Dress by Jean Paul Gaultier (Haute Couture Fall 2011)
- Hat by Unknown, red dress by Stéphane Rolland (Haute Couture Spring/Summer 2009), shoes by Giuseppe Zanotti ("High Platform Wedges")
- Hat by Unknown, yellow coat by Valentino (1980's), black dress by Fendi (Spring/Summer 2012)
- For the EP release, see "A Very Gaga Holiday"
On November 22, 2011, iTunes Store began selling a live EP of performances from the special, which included "White Christmas", "Orange Colored Sky", "You and I", and "The Edge of Glory". The EP was made available for purchase from the iTunes Store only.
- Set list
- "The Lady is a Tramp" (with Tony Bennett)
- "Born This Way'"
- "Yoü and I"
- "The Edge of Glory"
- "White Christmas"
- "Orange Colored Sky"
- "Bad Romance"
- "Marry the Night" (Web exclusive)
- Director — Lady Gaga
- First assistant director — Paul Laurens
- Second assistant director — Melissa Mugavero
- Producer — Steven Johnson (Factory Films), ABC's Lincoln Square Productions
- Unit Production Manager — Steven Johnson (Factory Films)
- Executive producer — Rudy Bednar, David Saltz
- Visual effects — Baked FX
- Photographer on set — Shareif Ziyadat, Lou Rocco (ABC)
- Musical director — Joe Wilson
- Music mix — Dave Russell at Heard It! Studios
- Fashion director — Nicola Formichetti (Haus of Gaga)
- Stylist — Brandon Maxwell (Haus of Gaga)
- Sylist assistant — Perry Meek and Tony Villanueva (Haus of Gaga)
- Manicurist — Aya Fukuda
- Gaga's hair — Frederic Aspiras (Haus of Gaga)
- Gaga's makeup — James Kaliardos
- Gaga's makeup assistant — William Kahn
- Dancers, band hair, makeup — Sarah Tanno (Haus of Gaga)
- Dancers' makeup assistant — Deborah Padilla
- Dancers' barber — Corey Rosso
- Dancers hair — David Reposar, Jacob Hyzer
- Choreographer — Richard Jackson (Haus of Gaga)
- Haus of Gaga Dancers — Amanda Balen, Montana Efaw, Vincent Hardison, Jeremy Hudson, Richard Jackson, Mark Kanemura, Ian McKenzie, Victor Rojas, Bethany Strong
- Haus of Gaga Band — Ricky Tillo (Guitar), George McCurdy III (Drums), Brockett Parsons (Keys), Kareem Devlin Byrne (Gutiar), Kern Brantley (Bass)
- Band — Alex Smith (Piano), Brian Newman (trumpet), Paul Francis (Drums), Scott Ritchie (Bass), Steven Kortyka (Tenor sax)