"Black Jesus † Amen Fashion" is a song written by Lady Gaga and DJ White Shadow on the first disc of the special edition of her third album, Born This Way. The song title was revealed by Gaga when she released the tracklisting of the expanded version of the album. The song was registered on her BMI on May 17, 2011.
When a fan on Twitter asked Gaga what her favorite bonus track from Born This Way is, Gaga responded:
- "I love them all but my favorite bonus track is probably Black Jesus /Amen Fashion. I've been listening on repeat. I want to do a video so bad!"
In an interview with E! news, Gaga stated that the name of the title was interchangeable. She had used both phrases in the song and they were both very good, so she decided to use both. She continued by saying that the song was about when she moved to downtown New York when she was 19. The lyrics are about how when Gaga moved downtown, she was introduced to an entirely new way of thinking that was so different from the way she was taught. Up till then, iconic imagery had taught her her entire life to look at Jesus and religion a certain way. So she sees Black Jesus as an entirely new way of thinking, which she believed was caused by meeting new people and seeing new things. She says that the Amen Fashion part of the song is about having a new way of seeing is as easy as changing your fashion.
- DJ White Shadow Mugler Remix - 8:52
- DJ White Shadow Remix (Video Edit) - 3:34
- Michael Woods Remix - 6:11
- Bass, guitar, drums — Brian Gaynor
- Keyboards — Lady Gaga, DJ White Shadow, Brian Gaynor
- Programming — DJ White Shadow, Brian Gaynor
- Recording — Dave Russell at Setai Recording Studio (April 17, 2011, Miami Beach )
- Mixing — Dave Russell at The Mix Room (Burbank )
- Assistant — Paul Pavao
- Mastering — Gene Grimaldi at Oasis Mastering (Burbank )
- [BMI] Sony/ATV Songs, LLC/ House of Gaga Publishing / GloJoe Music Inc.
- Maxwell and Carter Publishing, LLC