thumb|280px|right|A Message from Lady Gaga to the US Senate Don't Ask, Don't Tell (DADT) is the common term for the policy restricting the United States military from efforts to discover or reveal closeted gay, lesbian, and bisexual service members or applicants, while barring those who are openly gay, lesbian, or bisexual from military service. On December 18, 2010, Don't Ask, Don't Tell was repealed.
On September 12, 2010, Lady Gaga showed up at the MTV Video Music Awards with four special guests who were discharged from the force for their lifestyle. Gaga posted a video on her official YouTube channel on September 16, 2010, the video was a message from Gaga to the US Senate. The day after, "TheReal_JakeK" started a Twitition to help Gaga's goal of repealing the policy.
- "SENATOR JOHN MCCAIN is attempting to stop the DON'T ASK DON'T TELL repeal vote this tuesday, with a filibuster. A Filibuster is a way to obstruct the Senate Floor from discussing or voting on a given LAW, + is essentially a tactic to hijack our debate. All hands on deck Lil Monsters: Key senate vote this Tues. on #DADT... repeal. We need 60 senators. Those who support Lady Gaga and her fight to repeal against Senator McCain sign this petition!!"
On September 20, 2010, Gaga headlined a Monday rally in Portland, Maine to support the repeal of the policy. The rally, started at 4 p.m. in Deering Oaks Park, and was organized by the Service Members Legal Defense Network. While at the rally, Gaga gave a twenty minute speech regarding her stance, titled, Prime Rib of America.
- “I’m here because ‘Don’t ask, Don’t tell’ is wrong, it’s unjust and fundamentally it is against all that we stand for as Americans.”
On September 20, the Senate voted against the bill, and upon hearing the news, Gaga released a statement expressing her disappointment.
Today was an enormous DISAPPOINTMENT, for myself, and for many young American people. Not only because Don't Ask Don't Tell was not repealed by our Senators, but moreover because LEGISLATIVE PROCEDURE is being abused to stop public business, public debates, from happening while America is watching. There was a debate today, we just didn't get to watch it. Instead, it has been customary now for antiquated procedures and partisan politics to take precedence over debate, America's needs, and today, sadly, over the needs of US troops. I will keep fighting, I will not give up. I am passionate about the rights of the LGBT Community and SLDN and I will continue to activate as many young people as I can, and encourage them to get politically involved in their future.
- "http://twitpic.com/2ocx9i - Gay Veterans were my VMA dates. Repeal Don't Ask Don't Tell. CALL HARRY REID to Schedule Senate Vote"
- 6:48 AM Sep 14th via Twitter for BlackBerry®
- "HarryReid .@ladygaga There is a vote on #DADT next week. Anyone qualified to serve this country should be allowed to do so http://bit.ly/9ucdIj #nvsen"
- 9:19 AM Sep 14th via HootSuite|Retweeted by ladygaga and 100+ others
- "God Bless and Thank you @HarryReid, from all of us, like u, who believe in equality and the dream of this country. We were #BORNTHISWAY."
- 12:34 PM Sep 14th via Twitter for BlackBerry®
- "SENATOR JOHN MCCAIN is attempting to stop the DON'T ASK DON'T TELL repeal vote this tuesday, with a filibuster."
- 3:09 PM Sep 16th via Twitter for BlackBerry®
- "A Filibuster is a way to obstruct the Senate Floor from discussing or voting on a given LAW, + is essentially a tactic to hijack our debate."
- 3:13 PM Sep 16th via Twitter for BlackBerry®
- "All hands on deck Lil Monsters: Key senate vote this Tues. on #DADT repeal. We need 60 senators. Call your senator now: http://bit.ly/aBZMSJ"
- 3:16 PM Sep 16th via Twitter for BlackBerry®
- "Little Monsters #makeyourownvideos if u believe in #equalrights and want the Senate to #repealDADT. Tweet me your video and I will post them"
- 2:01 AM Sep 17th via Twitter for BlackBerry®
- "A Message to the US Senate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG5VK2lquEc"
- 3:03 AM Sep 17th via web
- "Support @ladygaga and fight against the abolishment of the 'DON'T ASK, DON'T TELL' law ... http://twitition.com/vzkp6 @TheReal_JakeK"
- 3:52 AM Sep 17th via Twitition
- "A Message from Lady Gaga to the US Senate http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG5VK2lquEc"
- 3:58 AM Sep 17th via Twitter for BlackBerry®
- "@ChuckSchumer@SenGillibrand Thankyou for responding, it means so much that you support us on this issue. Let's get this passed. Talk monday?"
- 10:50 AM Sep 17th via Twitter for BlackBerry®
- "To @SenJohnMcCain and everyone on Twitter I received an overwhelming amount of videos responding to DADT, please watch: http://bit.ly/cWAITv"
- 8:10 PM Sep 18th via web
- "Meet me in Portland, Maine 2moro, 9/20 to help repeal #DADT. I'm holding a Rally + speaking live in Deering Oaks Park http://bit.ly/cO4cY9"
- 4:19 PM Sep 19th via Twitter for BlackBerry®
- "On my way to Deering Oaks Park, I have been writing my repeal #DADT rally address for 48hrs. It's called "THE PRIME RIB OF AMERICA.""
- 1:00 PM via web
- "Live stream of the #DADT rally: http://bit.ly/9KNMrH"
- 2:27 PM via web
- "Watch my #DADT address "The Prime Rib of America" here: http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=11685268&affil=blog"
- 4:02 PM via Twitter for BlackBerry®
- "PLEASE WATCH MY FULL address to Repeal DADT on CNN.com. RT http://www.cnn.com/2010/SHOWBIZ/Music/09/20/gaga.gays.military/index.html?hpt=C2"
- 7:40 PM via web
- "@senjohnmccain the language in defense bill says it will not enforce DADT repeal until pentagon review + president signs. Why block debate?"
- 11:35 AM via web
- "A message from Gaga http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McEbJPuLUIw"
- 6:22 PM via web
- "Can't hold back the tears+pride. We did it!i Our voice was heard + today the Senate REPEALED DADT. A triumph for equality after 17 YEARS."
- 12:27 PM via web
- "Today I am so proud to be American. I wish I was home so I could throw a Parade. We are on the way...to full equal http://twitpic.com/3h99w1"
- 4:48 PM ago via Twitpic