Clear Rubber Mask, 2009Edit
The mask is shaped to fit under the nose and around the wearer's cheeks with an oval opening of the mouth. Four lacing holes at each side. The mask was used in "The Manifesto of Little Monsters", a film shot by Nick Knight in November of 2009 for the Monster Ball in 2009 through 2011.
The mask was sold for Icons & Idols Rock ‘n’ Roll Auction Event which took place at the Julien’s Auctions Beverly Hills Gallery on December 1st and 2nd, 2012.
Diamond Princess ensemble, 2009Edit
It was a personal request by Nicola Formichetti, Lady Gaga’s stylist, to construct a sort of “diamond princess” piece that she would be wearing in the portion of the Bad Romance video where the men are “bidding” on her. The crown along with the rest of the ensemble are made of individual pieces of jewelry wired together. The crown was finished the day before and the bust/top portion was literally constructed and molded on Lady Gaga, herself, on the day of the shoot. Lady Gaga has an amazing team around her so it was great to be a part of that experience.
Fernandez was asked to create a matching headpiece for a Olima dress to be worn at New Year's Eve 2010. He fabricated it from stiffened material that fits around the face and embellished with silver sequins and rhinestones. Additional elastic band secures the item to the wearer's head.
The headpiece was sold for Icons & Idols Rock ‘n’ Roll Auction Event which took place at the Julien’s Auctions Beverly Hills Gallery on December 1st and 2nd, 2012.
Denim shorts, 2010Edit
Meat dress, 2010Edit
Fernandez was contacted by Fashion Director at the Haus of Gaga, Nicola Formichetti to create a meat dress. The dress was worn during the 2010 MTV Video Music Awards and during her interview on The Ellen DeGeneres Show following the awards.
- "I never thought I'd be asking Cher to hold my meat purse," Gaga said, after Cher presented her the award for "Video of the Year".
Background and creationEdit
Similar to the meat bikini featured on the back cover of Vogue Hommes Japan, the meat dress was a much more conservative, covered up version of the previous piece. It is comprised of real meat (Argentinean beef). The dress is accompanied by a meat hat and purse as well as platform shoes also covered in the meat and butcher twine.
After The MTV Video Music Awards on September 12th, Lady Gaga wore the dress to The Ellen DeGeneres Show. it was on the show that she explained the reasoning behind the two meat outfits. Gaga, who was campaigning at the time in support of repelling "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," told Ellen DeGeneres that the dress represents equality, saying "Equality is the prime rib of America."
- "Well, it is certainly no disrespect to anyone that is vegan or vegetarian. As you know, I am the most judgement-free human being on the Earth. However, it has many interpretations. For me this evening, if we don’t stand up for what we believe in and if we don’t fight for our rights pretty soon, we’re going to have as much rights as the meat on our own bones. And, I am not a piece of meat."
The photo taken by Terry Richardson, that was featured on Vogue Hommes Japan's September issue, prompted a strong reaction by "People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals" (PETA), which said in a statement, "No matter how beautifully it is presented, flesh from a tortured animal is flesh from a tortured animal. Meat represents bloody violence and suffering, so if that's the look they were going for -- they achieved it". PETA president, Ingrid Newkirk added in an interview with the Daily News, "Oh, Lady Gaga's job is to do outlandish things, and this certainly qualifies as outlandish because meat is something you want to avoid putting on or in your body,"
During Gaga's concert at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, she expressed her thoughts over the controversy the outfits caused.
- "Next time I'll wear a tofu dress and the soybean police will come after me."
A spokesperson for PETA released the following statement regarding a meeting with Gaga to try and understand the situation.
- "Ingrid did send Lady Gaga a private letter inviting her to a vegan dinner. We know her to be a kind person from her previous anti-fur statements, and we hope that she takes Ms. Newkirk up on the offer."
"Women Who Rock: Vision, Passion, Power"Edit
- Main article: Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
As of June 16, 2011, the dress has been on display at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, "Women Who Rock: Vision, Passion, Power" exhibit. The dress was treated and preserved by a taxidermist over a number of weeks. "The dress was kept in a meat locker until the treatment was ready to begin," said a statement from the hall. "It was then placed in a vat of chemicals and, while still pliable, was put on a body form and allowed to dry." To keep the dress from looking like a large collection of beef jerky, it was painted to look like fresh meat.
MTV Interview with Franc FernandezEdit
Church hat, 2011Edit
Fernandez created the "Church" hat for Lady Gaga worn on the 2011 Grammys.
- Franc Fernandez Blog: Lady Gaga
- Nicola Formichetti's Blog: Lady Gaga wears Diamond Princess Ensemble by Franc Fernandez in Bad Romance music video
- Nicola Formichetti's Blog: Lady Gaga wears hat by Franc Fernandez for Giorgio Armani for 2010 Grammy Award Ceremony
- Nicola Formichetti's Blog: Beyonce and Dancers wear outfits by Franc Fernandez for the Telephone music video